Can't find the download, what's going on?
Dungeonscrawl: The Palace of the Briar Prince
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Ah! Yes. I hadn't put the PDF in there. It's uploaded now.
Thanks! just downloaded and read it.
I'm a bit confused about the rooms mechanic. I get that each player gets index cards and has a Motif (btw is it ok to have two players with the same motif?) but what do they do with the index cards? it's not really specified... do they actually draw the room? if they do - than should they know what's in it before? by rolling the standard or special table?
The line "Roll twice on the standard table below and combine them before you draw a card" makes me think you roll only when the GM draws the card. But how can you draw a room without knowing what's in there or how many exits are there?
Is the process like - the player draws the scenery, when the DM draws he rolls for what's in it and adds the elements and exists to the card and then reveals it?
Does the player who drew the card explain describe what we are seeing when the card is revealed? because we might not understand what the drawing is meant to signify.
I liked the general feel of the system, and in general I love you one-pager concept, I've been making some one-pagers of my own in inspiration of yours - you are awesome! keep it up :)
I found the same thing, my interpretation is:
- I would allow multiple players to have the same motif, it's not game breaking
- I have 4 players, so I hand out 5 cards each (20 cards total)
- The players roll 2d6 and draw the elements from the standard table in the room (unless they roll a 6, which points them to roll that dice again on the special table). Note that the player figures out what the element is, they don't just write "trap", they draw the loose stone which activates the poison darts.
- Write what the element is (see the example rooms around the edge of the pdf)
- The player randomly selects one of their own cards and adds their goal
- GM tries to interpret it (because it's more fun that way)
One other thing I picked up is you want to roll under your stay, but if you have help you add an extra dice and take the higher number, which I think is a mistake.
I have a session today, I'd love to give this a shot because it looks like so much fun!